Diary of a Documentary

Saturday, September 02, 2006

10. Janjucetus hunderi

The time has come to reveal my film idea! Mainly because I have to prove my worth and pitch it to the rest of the class.

My pitch is, after some serious blood, sweat and tears over the semester break, complete. However, somehow it just isn't quite the audiovisual bonanza that I envisioned. But given my disastrous computer skills and the serious lack of audio, never mind visuals, available to me it is as audiovisual as it is going to get.

The story revolves around the discovery of a new, never before seen by science, ancient fossil whale called Janjucetus hunderi that lived about 25 million years a ago in the seas off the coast of Australia. The discovery has had a major impact on the understanding of the evolution of baleen whales, which in itself is a fascinating story.

In fact, the fossil is so significant that when it was revealed to the public, in August, it sparked a world wide media frenzy. Al Jezeera even picked it up!


















Artist's impression of Janjucetus hunderi


My connection to the story and thus the reason I got the idea for a doco is that it just so happens that the palaeontologist, Erich Fitzgerald, who discovered Janjucetus was a class mate of mine in Zoology.

I also have a bit of a claim to fame in the Janjucetus affair in that, if I am not wrong, I was the first member of the public to set eyes upon this bizarre toothed mysticete back in 2005 when Erich gave me a sneak preview.

Anyway, given that at last count there was 21,000 references to Janjucetus on Google I will refrain from entering into a long explanation of this ancient whale's story, but I recommend a read.

So there you have it! I’m still a little sketchy on the specifics of the storyline: I could focus on Erich's personal journey of discovery; or take a broader look at the evolution of baleen whales; or maybe a bit of both, but that will come in time. For now I have to wow or rather woo someone into joining me in making the damn thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home